Sunday, August 3, 2008

Too many parentheticals?

Hi,
The past few days have been really eventful in ways that aren't really interesting to blog about. (I know about the preposition-ending but it would have been more awkward to switch the wording, no?) I don't want to get behind, though, so I'll give the update on the birfday etc.

Thursday night was the celebration of my birthday/most of the group's last night/PARTYTIME. The group of 16 that I came with all went out to PizzaKilo (that's not the real name, it's not even a kilo restaurant it's a buffet, these waiters bring around pizzas and you can take a slice of whatever you want, I had two beef stroganoff pizzas among others, they also have dessert pizza which tastes just like when you put bread in chocolate fondue), then to Casa de Matriz, acclaimed by guidebooks as the most hipster of Rio's clubs. The last night activities were really sweet, two from our group organized an award ceremony with joke awards for everybody. I got made fun of for running the stairs to the beach for exercise. You all can be comforted to know I haven't changed much.

Anyway, a birthday in Rio allowed me to start drinking well before I actually turned 21, and drinks in Rio are STRONG, and my friends were generous so I definitely had the 21st birthday experience one is supposed to have. I got in from the club (I'm not really sure how many hipsters were actually there, I remember seeing a waify model but nobody here wears American Apparel so it's hard to tell. The DJ played some old Clap Your Hands Say Yeah I guess, but probs its label was a misnomer) at 6:45 and had birthday cake for breakfast.

Everybody left Friday, which made for an emotional, kind of hollow actual birthday. Anna and I went to the beach, and I had an acai, and in true August 1st birthday fashion it was hot as hell (WINTER IT'S WINTER HERE) but saying goodbye sucks. Living and working in a strange city with few people that speak English bonds people in a really unique way, and as much as I anticipated falling in love with the city and being indifferent about the housemates, I lucked into getting the best of both worlds. Also, the new people seem pretty cool and I'm fully intending to make the most of my next two weeks (ONLY TWO MORE WEEKS) in Rio. Then it's one week of travel (Paraty/Buzios/Iguassu/I dunno yet) and then HOME. I need a new drivers license.

No comments: