Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Last Day at Mangueira

This is way late, but I'd be upset if I never blogged about it!

My last class sessions at the favela were actually the sweetest things in the world, pt. 1 and 2. Deciding Wednesday morning to get on a plane Friday at 1pm, I panicked on the way to work and said that though Wednesday would be my last afternoon I would go in Friday morning. Wednesday afternoon, we did the usual then danced and played games for two extra hours with the elderly who also hang out in the library at that time. They served a three-course snack and all the kids stayed until 5:00. They all said very upbeat goodbyes and ran out the door, which is a huge contrast to my farewell to the morning class.

I was questioning my decision to go in Friday morning (I was afraid I wouldn´t get a taxi from the favela, and that I might be late to the airport.) I told them on Wednesday that I would be in from 9-10 to say goodbye, keeping in mind we usually don´t start class until 9:45 so expecting them a touch earlier than usual. All the kids were there AT nine when I got there, before the coordinators with the keys, waiting outside the locked gate. They sat in a circle around me and asked to hold my backpack for me and played with my hair and asked me how to say flight in English and basically broke my heart. Then we went inside and ate the cookies I had brought while they all gave me their email addresses. When I had to get in a taxi, they all hugged and kissed me about 6 times and waved from the gate. One of the girls gave me a towel with her name on it as a present.

Now I have to start thinking about how to present about the experience for Carleton. There's so much to say! Also I kind of want to really continue communication not only with the kids but with the library and project. I got the address of the it so that I (or you!) can send letters or postcards or books or supplies (they literally have nothing but white paper and crayons) when I get back.


I can't believe I leave tomorrow. I'm back from BA and it's about 35 degrees warmer and I had my last dinner here and am getting ready for my last caipirinhas and last night out. On the plus side, talk to you all so soon! Will blog tomorrow if I get wifi in GIG/JFK.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting blog.
I'd like to get some info from you.
Do you have contact info??