Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Preppin'

I leave Milaca at 4:00 tomorrow morning to get to MSP by 5:30 to get on my plane by 7:20 to fly to Miami International. Believe it or not this is my first time EVER with a connecting flight -- I land in Miami at 11:50am and leave from there for Rio at 8:35pm. I hope the Miami International Airport is everything I dreamed of and more (free wireless?). My biggest fantasy right now is seeing Michael C. Hall or another Dexter star on location and getting invited to be an extra for a few hours. Then at 8:00 I'll bid the cast adieu and hop on my flight, telling Mikey C and the gang that I'll send them postcards! Possible/probable.


I feel very well equipped for Rio -- today I did the last of my shopping, buying another bottle of mace (yeah I'm bringing two) and a book for the plane/beach (Brazil by John Updike -- I'm a nerd). I also returned a map of the city I bought a week ago. The map actually cuts off the area of the city with the favela where I'm working, an obvious "you don't need to worry about THIS part" message to tourists. The stark contrast between the tourist/wealthy area of the city and the poverty-stricken/ignored favelas is apparently something I'm going to have to get used to over the course of my stay.

Right now I need to finish packing and have a good-bye margarita with my parents. If you're free between noon-8pm tomorrow, call me. I'll pick up unless I'm sleeping in the airport seats or chilling with the Dexter peeps.

No comments: